The Republic of the Union of Myanmar
Ministry of Planning, Finance, and Industry
10th Tabaung Waxing, 1382 Myanmar Era
22nd, March 2021
Subject: The Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement announces that the department provides monthly social pension for the elderly people who are 85 years old and over
Ref: the meeting no (2/2021) decision led by Vice President and representatives of the Parliament of Myanmar
1. The Committee Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw has announced that according to the 2017/ 2018 financial year, elderly persons aged 90 and over are entitled to receive social pension. However, from the 2018/2019 financial year, elderly persons who are 85 years old and over are officially recognized as entitled to receive benefits of social pension. The amount of 10,000 kyat per month will be provided to them from now on.
2. The qualified elderly person have received about 30,000 kyat for the three months at one time.
3. In Myanmar, the number of the elderly people who are 85 and over is about 10 million, and the required amount (9150.870, million kyat) is already in place to support them for the financial year of 2020/ 2021.
4. The social pension has already been delivered to the elderly people for the month of October, November, and December in 2020.
5. The Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement will deliver the social pension benefits for the elderly persons aged 85 and over by the end of this month, which will cover three months (January, February, March – 2021).
6. Therefore, the ministry hereby announces that if the social pension to the elderly people is being used for any other purposes and reasons, individuals or the organizations will face legal charges by the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement.
U Tin Tun Naing
Acting Union Minister of Planning, Finance, and Industry