March 14, 2021
Statement Informing the Right of Citizens to Practice Self-defense in Response to Terrorist Violence
The illegitimate State Administrative Council which is a terrorist group, through ordering the security forces and its violent collaborators within the Union, have committed daily, grave acts of violence and murder as well as trespassing, looting, and vandalizing the properties of peacefully protesting citizens and civil servants participating in the Civil Disobedience Movement. For this reason, the Committee Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw releases this statement with regard to the fundamental humanitarian rights of citizens, which are the right to defend life, and the right to live in freedom and security, as well as to give the citizens the right to defend one’s livelihood in accordance with the law.
1. At present, the representatives of the Union are the People’s government and the Committee Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw led by President U Win Myint, State Councilor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the Temporary Vice President Mann Win Khaing Than.
2. The Committee Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw has already designated the illegitimate coup State Administrative Council as a terrorist group.
3. All armed organizations and individuals loyal to the terrorist organization which has interfered and inflicted violence towards the right to life, livelihood, and safety of citizens, are no longer Public/Civil servants.
4. If violence is perpetrated against the citizens—be it by the illegitimate State Administrative Council, those working under them who are no longer Public/Civil servants and armed organizations, and their collaborators or opportunists—the citizens have the full right to defend oneself and others in accordance with the law citing the Existing Criminal Law (Manslaughter?) Chapter (4), articles regarding self-defense.
5. We announce that be it individuals, township and village organizations, regions and wards, everyone has the right to retaliate in self-defense in accordance with the law.
Committee Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw