12 May 2023
1. The Committee Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw (CRPH), the representative body of the democratically elected parliamentarians in Myanmar, welcomes and thanks the European Parliament for their adoption of resolution (2023/2694(RSP)) on Myanmar, dated 11 May 2023.
2. We applaud the European Parliament’s calls for the European Union to impose additional targeted sanctions the military and its business interests, including sanctions on aviation fuel.
3. We would welcome the resolution’s immediate implementation as it will assist the cessation of the military’s crimes against humanity that they commit against the civilians on a regular and recurrent basis.
4. We encourage the international community to step up like that European Parliament has to support the people of Myanmar who are working for peace. They are doing this by advocating and working for democracy and an inclusive federal democracy that will herald in justice.
5. We very much appreciate the call for the international community to extend effective support for the National Unity Government (NUG) and other democratic forces in Myanmar.
6. We respectfully call upon the European Parliament to reach out to international parliaments and parliamentary organisations with a request to escalate their support by undertaking parliamentary debates in their parliaments culminating with the adoption of resolutions for strengthened international cooperation in Myanmar’s struggle for democracy.
Committee Representing Pyidaungsu Hluttaw